It Is Finished Audio

Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Who is God? I AM that I AM (Part 3)


I AM the Good Shepherd and the Gate

John 10:9,11 I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. (NIV)


               Shepherds had an important role in Bible history and modern times as well. In Genesis, we find that Abel, Adam and Eve’s second son, was a keeper of the flock. Genesis 4:2 Later she gave birth to his brother Abel. Now Abel kept flocks, and Cain worked the soil. (NIV) When Adam was in the Garden of Eden, I AM had given him dominion over all of His creation. Unfortunately, after man’s fall, there was hardship brought about as a result. His new role of toiling the hard ground and tending to the flock meant a lot of demanding work; especially when it came to taking care of sheep. When prophesying to King Ahab, the Prophet Micaiah likened Israel’s defeat as being of a flock with no shepherd. 1 Kings 22:17 Then Micaiah answered, “I saw all Israel scattered on the hills like sheep without a shepherd, and the Lord said, ‘These people have no master. Let each one go home in peace.’ ” (NIV) The shepherd has to take great care of the sheep or they would be subject to harm to various predators.

               Let’s go over some of the characteristics of sheep, so that we can understand why I AM is the good shepherd. This is a compiled list taken from Pastor Dave Murray’s website at http://headheartlad.org/blog.

1.) Sheep are believed to be dumb animals and slow to learn. They can make many mistakes, but they still fail to learn from them. This is why I AM is the Good Shepherd to help us to remember and learn from our failures, but He stands as a support system to help us to get back up. Proverbs 24:16 For though a righteous man falls seven times, he rises again, but the wicked are brought down by calamity. (NIV)

2.) Sheep are very demanding animals. Their constant need to eat grass day and night places a great demand on the shepherd. Therefore, I AM never goes on vacation. He is always available when we call Him because He knows that His sheep are constantly in need of His help against the devil and his demonic forces. Psalm 121:3-4 He will not let your foot slip – he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. (NIV)

3.) Sheep are very stubborn animals. It is hard to move them forward. This is why I AM has to rebuke and discipline His children because we do not naturally want to obey Him. Our natural man wants to live contrary to the Spirit, but if we fully submit to His will, He will guide us in all things. Hebrews 12:4-6 In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. And you have forgotten that word of encouragement that addresses you as sons: “My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son.” (NIV)

4.) Sheep are very strong animals. Shepherds have to be able to handle them or they will be overrun by them. This is why I AM gave us His word, so that we would not run around doing as we please, but would have proper instruction as to His will. 2 Timothy 3:2 Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage with great patience and careful instruction (NIV)

5.) Sheep often go astray. This is why it is important for the shepherd to carefully watch over the sheep and why I AM always keeps a watchful eye over His children. I AM also sends His ministering angels to help guard His flock. Psalm 91:11 For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways. (NIV)

6.) Sheep are unpredictable in their behavior and tend to be copycats. You never know what they will do and what they will imitate. If one sheep jumps over the cliff, the rest will follow. However, a good shepherd will look out for hidden dangers. I AM has given us an escape from the dangers and temptations of the devil. We can call on our Good Shepherd to help us I our time of need. 1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. (NIV)

7.) Sheep are restless. They need to feel total security for them to finally rest. The shepherd tries to ensure that his sheep are within the gate of safety, so that they can obtain rest. I AM is our place of rest and all who dwells in Him will find peace for their souls. Psalm 91:1-2 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge ad my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” (NIV)

8.) Sheep are totally dependent animals. They are unable to be self-sufficient and therefore, they are in need of a good shepherd who cares. I AM cares for His sheep. We are incapable of being saved on our own, but He is our shepherd with Whom we can rely. Psalm 18:2 The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. (NIV)

9.) Sheep are consistent. They have the same characteristics regardless of their location. Once a shepherd learns how to take care of his flock, he can be a shepherd anywhere because sheep do not change their characteristics. I AM knows His sheep and that we too do not change until He molds and shapes us into His character. Isaiah 64:8 Yet, O Lord, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter, we are all the work of your hand. (NIV)

10.) Sheep can be dangerous animals. Shepherds have to be careful how they handle sheep -- especially rams. A ram may had been a family pet, but once an adult, will try to play in the same manner and can cause unintentional injury.  I AM as our Shepherd teaches us that we must grow up in Him. We cannot stay at the infancy stage and expect to grow in Him. Therefore, I AM gives us instruction through His word, so that we will not cause injury to those in the world, but be able to give proper instruction with love, care and great diligence. Hebrews 5:12-14 In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God’s word all over again. You need milk not solid food! Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil. (NIV)

               I AM is the Good Shepherd and there is no other way to get to the Father, but through Jesus Christ our Lord. John 14:6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (NIV) He guides, protects and instructs His children in the direction we should go. Anyone who tries to come through any other way will not make it into I AM’s kingdom. Buddha, Gandhi, or Muhammad can’t save anyone. Only Jesus Christ, the great I AM can. John 10:1-7 “I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep. The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger’s voice.” Jesus used this figure of speech, but they did not understand what he was telling them. Therefore, Jesus said again, “I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment