It Is Finished Audio

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Where Are You Going Jonah?




Where Are You Going Jonah?

Amos 9:3 Though they hide themselves on the top of Carmel, there I will hunt them down and seize them. Though they hide from me at the bottom of the sea, there I will command the serpent to bite them. (NIV)

            
               The city of Nineveh had done evil is the sight of Jehovah El Roi. Its wickedness had reached Him just as it did with Sodom and Gomorrah. Therefore, God planned to destroy the city as punishment for their sins, but not before giving them a warning. He told His prophet, Jonah, what he planned to do and gave him directions to go preach to the city to warn them about their upcoming judgment. Amos 3:7 Surely the Sovereign Lord does nothing without revealing his plan to his servants the prophets. (NIV) God never wants to punish anyone, but when He does, it is His ultimate desire to have reconciliation back to Him. Jeremiah 18:7-10 (7)If at any time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be uprooted, torn down and destroyed, (8)and if that nation I warned repents of its evil, then I will relent and not inflict on it the disaster I had planned. (9)And if at another time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be built up and planted, (10)and if it does evil in my sight and does not obey me, then I will reconsider the good I had intended to do for it. (NIV)

               Jonah was given the task to go to Nineveh to preach against it as a warning to turn from their wicked ways or destruction was imminent. However, Jonah had plans of his own and that was to avoid doing what God had commanded. He decided to go on the run in an attempt to hide. Jonah paid a fare to board a ship to go to the city of Tarshish. Nevertheless, his plans did not work for Jehovah El Roi saw him and sent a storm to threaten the safety of the ship and all aboard. Jonah 1:4 Then the Lord sent a great wind on the sea, and such a violent storm arose that the ship threatened to break up. (NIV) Jonah’s disobedience to Jehovah El Roi caused trouble not only for himself, but for others.

               Jonah had fallen asleep below the deck of the ship, while the storm was threatening those on the higher deck. The men were afraid and knew that this was no ordinary storm, but this was a storm brought about by anger. Jonah 1;7 Then the sailors said to each other, “Come, let us cast lots to find out who is responsible for this calamity.” They cast lots and the lot fell on Jonah. (NIV) The men aboard the ship knew that they were in trouble and that someone had brought about the wrath of a Supernatural force. They did not know the God of Jonah, but they knew that He was angry and they began to question him. Jonah 1:9-10 He answered, “I am a Hebrew and I worship the Lord, the God of heaven, who made the sea and the land.” This terrified them and they asked, “What have you done?” (They knew he was running away for the Lord, because he had already told them so.) (NIV)

               Jonah had the men to throw him overboard so that they wouldn’t suffer for what he had done. They did not want to do this, but due to the storm getting worse, they went ahead and did as he requested. The storm immediately ceased and Jonah was swallowed by a big fish. Jonah 1:17 But the Lord provided a great fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was inside the fish three days and three nights. (NIV) Jonah prayed while in the belly of the fish and Jehovah El Roi heard his prayer. The fish vomited Jonah up on dry land and then Jehovah El Roi gave Jonah the command again and this time, he obeyed.

               Jonah somehow had the notion that he could run from Jehovah El Roi. It seems crazy that he would even think that he could run from the God of the Universe who created every little crevice in it. However, Jonah found out that there was nowhere that he could go where Jehovah El Roi wouldn’t see. We too cannot hide from Jehovah El Roi. He is everywhere. This is why we must be obedient to His will because He sees all and there is nothing concerning us that is hidden from Jehovah El Roi. Psalm 139:7-12 (7)Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? (8)If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. (9)If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, (10)even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. (11)If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” (12)even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.” (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment