It Is Finished Audio

Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Spiritual Warfare: Image of God

 

Image result for God created us

Spiritual Warfare

Image

What were human beings created to reflect?

“Then God said, ‘Let us make human beings in our image, to be like us. They will reign over the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, the livestock, all the wild animals on the earth, and the small animals that scurry along the ground.’  So God created human beings in his own image. In the image of God he created them; male and female he created them” (Genesis 1:26-27).

The word image in Hebrew is “tzelem” pronounced “zelem,” which has two meanings.

1.     Idol – And all the people of the land went over to the temple of Baal and tore it down. They demolished the altars and smashed the idols to pieces, and they killed Mattan the priest of Baal in front of the altars” (2 Kings 11:18).

2.     Metaphorically (figuratively) – describes a tangible item.

a.)   Its Hebrew root “Tz-lem” is also used to describe a photograph.

Many people’s spiritual warfare deals with not knowing who they are in God, or what it means to be in the created image of God. They are battling spiritual warfare of the mind.

Side effects of battling this type of spiritual warfare include, but are not limited to:

a.)   Low self-esteem

b.)   Self-sabotage

c.)   Depression

d.)   PTSD

e.)   Suicide

f.)    People-pleasers

g.)   Anxiety

h.)   Stress

i.)     High-blood pressure

j.)     Panic attacks

k.)   Magnet for wrong relationships

l.)     Jealousy

m.) Envy & more.

Moses had an image problem because of his speech. The Bible says:  But Moses pleaded with the Lord, “O Lord, I’m not very good with words. I never have been, and I’m not now, even though you have spoken to me. I get tongue-tied, and my words get tangled” (Exodus 4:10).

Gideon had an image problem because he was the least and smallest in his clan. The Bible says: But Lord,” Gideon replied, “how can I rescue Israel? My clan is the weakest in the whole tribe of Manasseh, and I am the least in my entire family!” (Judges 6:15).

Jabez had an image problem because of his name. The Bible says: There was a man named Jabez who was more honorable than any of his brothers. His mother named him Jabez because his birth had been so painful. He was the one who prayed to the God of Israel, “Oh, that you would bless me and expand my territory! Please be with me in all that I do, and keep me from all trouble and pain!” And God granted him his request” (1 Chronicles 4:9-10).

Job may have had an image problem because of what others thought about him. The Bible says: But consider the joy of those corrected by God! Do not despise the discipline of the Almighty when you sin” (Job 5:17).

Jeremiah had an image problem because of his feelings of inadequacy due to his young age. The Bible says:  The Lord replied, “Don’t say, ‘I’m too young,’ for you must go wherever I send you and say whatever I tell you. And don’t be afraid of the people, for I will be with you and will protect you. I, the Lord, have spoken!” (Jeremiah 1:7-8).

Isaiah had an image problem because of his mouth. The Bible says: Then I said, “It’s all over! I am doomed, for I am a sinful man. I have filthy lips, and I live among a people with filthy lips. Yet I have seen the King, the Lord of Heaven’s Armies” (Isaiah 6:5).

Leah, Jacob’s first wife, had an image problem because she was not considered beautiful, nor was she Jacob’s first choice. The Bible says: There was no sparkle in Leah’s eyes, but Rachel had a beautiful figure and a lovely face. Since Jacob was in love with Rachel, he told her father, “I’ll work for you for seven years if you’ll give me Rachel, your younger daughter, as my wife” (Genesis 29:17-18).

 

Yet, the Lord had a plan for all of these people despite their image problems. Therefore, when we know what it means to be created in the “image” of God, we can understand that we are all made with a quality that is only reflective of His image. How do we come to understand this? We can do so by understanding some of the names of God that also reflect what He imparted into us as His created beings.

 

Elohim (Our Creator) – He has given us the ability to create or be creative. The the Lord wanted His Tabernacle to be constructed, He gave certain men the creativity to do what He desired. The Bible says:  The Lord has filled Bezalel with the Spirit of God, giving him great wisdom, ability, and expertise in all kinds of crafts. He is a master craftsman, expert in working with gold, silver, and bronze. He is skilled in engraving and mounting gemstones and in carving wood. He is a master at every craft” (Exodus 35:31-33). Therefore, because I am in the image of God, my Creator, I am creative.

Jehovah Shaloam (Lord our peace) – God has given us the ability to be peacemakers in a world full of chaos, as much as it depends on us. The Bible says: Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God” (Matthew 5:9); “If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone” (Romans 12:18); “All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation” (2 Corinthians 5:18). Therefore, because I am in the image of God, my Creator, I am a peacemaker.

Adonai (Lord of, Master, Sovereignty) – The Lord has given us dominion over the earth. The Bible says: Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall hurt you” (Luke 10:19);  So God created human beings in his own image. In the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. Then God blessed them and said, “Be fruitful and multiply. Fill the earth and govern it. Reign over the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, and all the animals that scurry along the ground” (Genesis 1:27-28). Therefore, because I am in the image of God, my Creator, I am a lord (master) with dominion.

El Shaddai (God Almighty or the Mighty One of Jacob) --  The Lord has given us the ability to do mighty things in His name. The Bible says:I can do all this through him who gives me strength” (Philippians 4:13); “Then the LORD said to Moses, “Why are you crying out to me? Tell the Israelites to move on” Exodus 14:15). Therefore, because I am in the image of God, my Creator, I am mighty, not almighty, but mighty.

Jehovah Jireh (Lord my Provider) – The Lord provides for us by giving us the means for provision. The Bible says: But remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your ancestors, as it is today” (Deuteronomy 8:18); “And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:19); “ The Lord will send rain at the proper time from his rich treasury in the heavens and will bless all the work you do. You will lend to many nations, but you will never need to borrow from them” (Deuteronomy 28:12). Therefore, because I am in the image of God, my Creator, I am a provider.

Jehovah Rapha (Lord who Heals) – The Lord has gifted some with the gift of healing, which can include “some” doctors. The Bible says: Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father” (John 14:12). Therefore, because I am in the image of God, my Creator, I am a healer (mind, body, soul).

 

Because of “Whose” I AM, I can know “Who” I am. Therefore, because I was made in the image of God, no weapon formed against me will prosper.

Image result for God created us

No comments:

Post a Comment