It Is Finished Audio

Thursday, September 8, 2016

Jehovah-Raah (The Lord My Shepherd)

Jehovah-Raah (The Lord My Shepherd)

Ezekiel 34:12 As a shepherd looks after his scattered flock when he is with them, so will I look after my sheep. I will rescue them from all the places where they were scattered on a day of clouds and darkness. (NIV)


            David was anointed to be the next leader of Israel after King Saul. 1 Samuel 16:1 The Lord said to Samuel, “…Fill your horn with oil and be on your way; I am sending you to Jesse of Bethlehem. I have chosen one of his sons to be king.” (NIV) God had chosen this young shepherd boy, the least of his family, to lead a great and mighty nation. God blessed Israel, as part of His promise that He had made to Abraham, after freeing them from the enslavement of the Egyptian Pharaoh many years prior. Nevertheless, David did not immediately go into his anointing, but he went through various trials prior to his appointment. David had to learn a few things that only God could teach him before he was ready to lead a nation.
            With the anointing came trials that David had no idea that he would go through. Some of his challenges were from outside sources and others brought on by his own sinful actions. Yet, he learned from them and his relationship with God grew. His trials began by having to flee from a jealous king, distance himself from a friend, lose his first wife, endure the anger of his own men, death of a child, rebellion in his home, and turmoil in his kingdom. Despite these significant challenges in David’s life, he learned that God was his Jehovah-Raah…his Shepherd.


Psalm 23

(1)The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
(2)He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, (3)he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. (4)Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For you are with me, your rod and your staff they comfort me.
(5)You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
 (6)Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. (NIV)


            Jehovah-Raah was the One who took care of David’s needs and provided him with food, shelter and overall security. David understood that as a shepherd watches over his flock to keep them from harm, Jehovah-Raah watches over His children to keep them from the enemy’s snares. All we have to do is to trust Him and He will direct our paths. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. (NIV) Yes, God is our Shepherd and in Him we can place our complete trust. His rod and staff are instruments of protection and direction. Therefore, there is no need to ever fear because Jehovah-Raah will never allow us to be led astray as long as we are in tune with hearing His voice. John 10:27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. (NIV)


No comments:

Post a Comment